Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What makes a philanthropist?

phi⋅lan⋅thro⋅py (noun)
  1. altruistic concern for human welfare and advancement, usually manifested by donations of money, property, or work to needy persons, by endowment of institutions of learning and hospitals, and by generosity to other socially useful purposes.
Most people think Bill or Melinda Gates, Oprah Winfrey or Angelina Jolie when they hear the word philanthropy. But like many people, I can't afford do donate in the hundreds, let alone millions of dollars right now. But in the truest sense of the word, I am already a philanthropist. And I am not alone.

According to Giving USA Foundation, 82 percent of charitable giving comes from individuals - people like us who want to make a difference.

Whether we give $10 or $10,000 - whether we donate our time, ideas and leadership, household goods and/or clothing - we are philanthropists in the purest sense. We show "altruistic concern for human welfare and advancement."

As we all weather the storm of a struggling economy, we can still be proactive in giving. Think about what is important to you and how you choose to give. Make a plan and keep track.

Even though I have a plan for my personal giving, for the first time in years I was able to donate just $50 to my favorite charity at their annual fund-raising event. I've donated clothing and household items throughout the year, but cash is tight right now - as it is for many. But nonprofits are generally good at stretching their resources. While my $50 may not be much, I know it will go far. It will be added to the other $50, $100, $1,000 gifts to amount to something bigger. And it will help my favorite charity in ways I cannot even imagine.

Do you have ideas about creative ways to donate? Share them here or email me at kate@donatewise.com

No comments:

Post a Comment